As a third generation entrepreneur no one told about the warning signs of being a workaholic. Watching my own Father as a child be a workaholic showed an acceptable path for what I would later model as ‘normal working hours’. Only as I balanced multiple children, my marriage and ‘me time’ did I realize my level of worth ethic was beyond the average framework. Slow down girl.
Work-Life balance may feel like an oxymoron, but as creatives we need to believe it although we are super passionate and motivated!
Here are 5 signs of a workaholic
- You are constantly rushing, busy, and have a neverending to-do-list that keeps growing. You have time for nothing and everything all at the same time.
- You have a need to control everything and delegating work is hard for you. That ‘if you want it done right, do it yourself’ mentality takes over constantly.
- Work binges are a common practice. Burning the midnight oil happens multiple times a week as you work overtime to meet deadlines and the adrenaline rush gives you a temporary high despite neglecting your health.
- Restlessness and inability to relax has become normal for you. Fun isn’t in your vocabulary. You feel like it’s a waste of time and you could be making money or getting work done. When you get restless, you turn hobbies and recreation into productivity or moneymaking ventures.
- Self-Neglect- Self-care is at the bottom of your list. Your job trumps everything. You pay little attention to your physical or mental health, which progressively go downhill.
If this sounds like you, it’s time to do a mental check and work out of workaholic mode.